Koger Cosmetic Clinic & Medspa, Kim Edward Koger, M.D., offers breast augmentation to women in Jupiter, FL, Wellington, Vero Beach, and the Palm Beach County area.
Small breast size may be due to a natural family trait, lack of full development, or it may be from lost volume because of a dramatic weight loss, age or pregnancy. The best way to increase breast size is by an augmentation. For women who desire larger breasts, the augmentation procedure helps to enhance the size, shape and fullness of the breast. This type of procedure has a positive effect on a woman’s self-esteem and body image.
See Dr. Koger’s Before and After Photos of Breast Augmentation
About The Breast Augmentation Procedure
Below you will find more information about breast augmentation and the kind of results you can look forward to. This information is meant to be useful to you and may not answer every question. If you find you still have questions, consult Dr. Koger for more information about your individual surgery.
- Size – Choosing the correct size of the implant can be the most difficult part of breast augmentation. You and Dr. Koger together will discuss your desired size and what is possible for you to achieve. When discussing size, we encourage you to pay close attention to volume, not cup size. The garment industry varies significantly, so choosing a cup size may give you unwanted results. Dr. Koger listens closely to his patients and takes care to select the best implant size for them. During surgery when Dr. Koger is determining the final size, he uses an Implant Sizer, which is a temporarily placed implant that allows him to see exactly what you are going to look like, and to determine the final implant size before he places the permanent implant.
- Incision – At the incision site, Dr. Koger will create a pocket. This pocket may be behind the breast tissue or one tissue layer deeper, also behind the chest wall muscle, called a sub-pectoral placement. Creating the pocket behind the chest wall is the most common practice for surgeons but the patients starting anatomy helps determine the best pocket position.
- Implant – You will have two choices for your implants: silicone gel or saline. While the majority of implants used today are cohesive silicone gel, both types have a silicone casing. Women tend to choose the silicone gel more often due to it feeling and looking more realistic and having less rippling than its counterpart.
Types of Breast Implants
The types of breast implants vary, and the size that you receive will rely on several factors. First, Dr. Koger will take into account your body mass and frame. He will also consult with you to discuss what you prefer and expect from your breast augmentation. Other important details that will influence the decision are the amount of breast tissue and skin laxity you currently have. Each type of implant is made with a silicone rubber outer shell, regardless of its interior.
Breast implant options include the following:
Saline Breast Implants
These implants are filled as Dr. Koger does the procedure. This allows him to make small adjustments to the size of the implant and ensure the best fit. They are filled with sterile salt water.
Silicone-Filled Breast Implants
Silicone Gel implants are the most commonly chosen type of implant by patients. They are filled with a solid cohesive gel that is soft and more closely mimics natural breast tissue.
Studies and evidence show that both kinds of implants are safe for the patient. As with other kinds of medicine, the surgical techniques are constantly evolving. This makes sure that the procedure is made as safe and reliable as possible. A consultation with Dr. Koger will let you find out even more about the safety of breast augmentation.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Enhancing the size, shape and fullness is not the only benefit an augmentation can do for breasts. Many women with breasts of unequal sizes can achieve improved symmetry with breast enhancement surgery creating uniformity. It can also be used for breast reconstruction if a woman has recently undergone a mastectomy. In a procedure often referred to as a “Mommy Makeover,” women who have undergone undesirable changes due to pregnancies will combine breast augmentation with a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. Dr. Koger has performed thousands of procedures with breast augmentation being one of the most common.
The surgery itself, when performed by an experienced surgeon like Dr. Koger, can involve very little recovery time. Many of his patients begin doing a light activity only a couple days after the procedure. Normally, it will take up to three weeks before normal activities can be resumed.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentations are well known to boost self-esteem and confidence. Women who undergo this procedure acknowledge it has been crucial in improving their appearance.
Those who feel dissatisfied with their current breast size, or those who have breast conditions, are ideal candidates for the procedure. This could be the right decision for you if you have any of the following characteristics:
- You are dissatisfied with the smallness of your breasts
- Due to fluctuation in your weight, your breast shape and size have changed
- You notice a high degree of self-consciousness when wearing tight fitting tops and swimwear
- Garments fit your waist well but are too big for your bust
- Your breasts have lost firmness and have become smaller due to having children
- One breast is larger than the other
It is important that you are healthy and have realistic expectations to be a good candidate for this procedure. The best patient will be one who wants to enhance their appearance.
Planning Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
Dr. Koger will meet with you during your initial consultation to examine you and discuss your options. During this time, he will overview the techniques he feels are best for you, taking into account the elasticity of your skin and the current condition and size of your breasts.
Once your surgery date is chosen, we will set up another appointment with you prior to surgery to discuss all of the surgical preparations.
You will be given a list of instructions on how to prepare for your breast augmentation. You will receive information regarding vitamin and medication use, as well as recommendations for how to handle such things as smoking, drinking, and eating.
Breast Augmentation surgery is an outpatient procedure. Dr. Koger performs all of his surgeries at either Jupiter Outpatient Surgery Center or Jupiter Medical Center. We ask that you find someone to transport you both to and from your surgery. It may also be in your best interest to have personal assistance for the first few days following your augmentation.
After Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
You may feel a little tired after your breast augmentation surgery. You will also experience some level of discomfort. Dr. Koger prescribes pain medication to help you remain comfortable. You also have the option to have a pain pump, which is a device used to continuously deliver lidocaine directly to the chest area keeping you numb. The pain pump lasts for up to four days and can greatly diminish the need for pain medication.
You will leave the surgical center with a bandage wrapped around your chest to control swelling for the first 24 hours. After that, you will be able to shower daily and wear only a sports bra that is provided to you. Since Dr Koger only used absorbable sutures for breast augmentation procedures, there is no need for suture removal. Further instructions for scar care and resuming of activities will be given to you at your follow up appointments.
How Much Does a Breast Augmentation Cost?
Most insurance policies will not provide coverage for breast augmentation procedures due to it being considered an elective cosmetic surgery. Koger Cosmetic Clinic and Medspa seek to make the procedure affordable and accessible and offer financing options via CareCredit®. We also accept cash, personal checks, and major credit cards.
Having safely performed many breast augmentations on patients residing in Wellington, Vero Beach, and the Palm County area, Kim Edward Koger, M.D., F.A.C.S. of Koger Cosmetic Clinic and Medspa, can help you too. If you desire to augment your breast size, contact him today for a consultation.